Many people today in the age group of 35 to 50 are opting for plastic surgery such as liposuction, hair transplant, abdominoplasty, and many more.
While earlier a lot of people used to go abroad for these types of surgeries, many people have now started undertaking these plastic surgeries in the country itself. Due to the medicinal development, trained medical professionals, and technological advancements in India, many people are opting for plastic surgery here itself.
Dr Debraj Shome- Redefining Plastic Surgery
Dr Debraj Shome is a highly recognized and one of the most respectable names amongst cosmetic and facial plastic surgeons in India and the world, having learned from and worked with globally reputed institutions in cosmetic surgery and facial plastic surgery. Dr Shome has wide-ranging expertise and his clinical interests include Facial Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery, Ocular and Facial Oncology, and Ophthalmology.
After starting his career in ophthalmology, Dr Shome eventually forayed into facial plastic and cosmetic surgery. He is known as one of the best facial plastic and cosmetic surgeons in the country. Dr Shome’s passion for his work is evident in his pioneering innovation in the field of hair regrowth, and transplantation with the premier, non-invasive, and FDA-approved “QR 678®” hair regrowth therapy.
Dr Shome is the only surgeon from Asia certified by the American Board in Facial Cosmetic Surgery. Board certification in this niche specialty has only been awarded to around 100 plastic and cosmetic surgeons globally, and Dr Debraj Shome is the only surgeon accredited from Asia.
Dr Shome is also the only surgeon from India and Asia to be A Fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (FAACS).
Dr Shome is the author of the Amazon best selling book, ‘Dear People, With Love and Care, Your Doctors’, which has sold over 20000 copies globally. This is an anthology on the Doctor Patient Relationship.
Educational background of Debraj Shome
- Dr Debraj Shome completed his MBBS from the prestigious Grant Medical College and the Sir J J Group of Hospitals in Mumbai.
- After obtaining his Bachelors in Surgery, Dr Shome pursued a specialization in ophthalmology and completed his residency at Sankara Nethralaya in Chennai.
- He subsequently received his degree of F.R.C.S (Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow) in 2003 and his Diplomate of National Board (D.N.B) in 2004 after completing 3 years of residency.
- Dr Shome further pursued one of the most distinguished fellowships in the Asia Pacific region, a residency program at the L V Prasad Eye Institute in Hyderabad in 2005, where he specialized in Orbital Surgery, Ocular Oncology, and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery.
- His interest in the field of Facial Plastic Surgery and cosmetic surgery led him to undertake an esteemed medical training at the University of Utah in the USA.
- He has also completed a fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery from the MD Anderson Cancer Centre in Houston, USA.
- Dr Debraj Shome was the recipient of the prestigious AOCMF certified fellowship (awarded to only five surgeons globally, every year) in Cranio Maxillo Facial Surgery from the Morrison Hospital in Wales, UK.
- Dr Shome completed another Fellowship in Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, from the Morriston Hospital in Wales, UK.
- Dr Shome has also completed his MBA in Healthcare Management from the National University of Singapore, which has enabled him to develop and lead world-class surgery facilities in cities across India.
- Dr Shome is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and amongst the very few plastic surgeons in the chapter from India.
- Dr Shome is a Fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (FAACS) and is the only Indian to be given this recognition.
- Dr Shome is American Board Certified in Facial Cosmetic Surgery and is the only surgeon from Asia to have this honour.
- Dr Shome has been a medical leader to many medical organisations like the Indian Medical Association (IMA), Association of Medical Consultants (AMC), the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, the American College of Surgeons, the Indian Society of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the Oculoplastic Association of India and has served as office bearers and provided leadership to all these organisations
Awards and Recognitions
Over the years, Dr Debraj Shome has received various awards and accolades for his distinguished contribution to plastic and cosmetic surgery. Few of these awards include:
- A travelling fellowship grant to the UK from the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow to complete a 3-week observership at the Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
- The largest sum of a grant, $ 56000, by the Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN, USA to pursue their MBA in Healthcare Management. Vanderbilt was ranked second in the States for its MBA in Healthcare Management in 2007.
- The Fellowship of International Council of Ophthalmology after being awarded a sponsored (International Council of Ophthalmology Grant) fellowship in Reconstructive Facial Plastic Surgery at MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, the USA under Dr Bita Esmaeli.
- The extremely prestigious Davies Foundation Grant Award by the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow, UK in 2010. Dr Shome is the youngest recipient of this Award globally and the first person outside of the US and the UK to win this award.
- Dr Debraj Shome was awarded as the ‘Best Plastic Surgeon in India’ for 2015, at the hands of Shri Shripad Yesso Naik, Honourable Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare (Govt of India) & Dr C P Thakur, MP & Former Union Govt of India Cabinet Minister, at the Healthcare Excellence Summit & Awards 2015.
- Dr Shome was awarded the ‘Best Plastic Surgeon in India’ at the esteemed National Healthcare Awards, 2016
- Dr Debraj Shome is the recipient of the “Indian of the Year” award at the Healthcare Forum, Indian Leadership Conclave in 2017 for his breakthrough innovation, QR 678®, a revolutionary, non-invasive therapy for hair regrowth.
- Presented the “Times Power Men” by the Times of India Group in 2019 for his work and contribution in the field of Facial Plastic Surgery and Facial Cosmetic Surgery.
Finall words About Dr debraj Shome
As one of the leading facial plastic and cosmetic surgeons, Dr Debraj Shome is a skilled and experienced professional who has helped transform many lives. At the heart of his work is a deep understanding of detail, precision, and intricacy that goes into uplifting an individual’s face. He believes that keeping an individual’s ethnicity and uniqueness intact while still giving them a new look is what makes a plastic surgeon the “best”, something which Dr Shome has proved very well.
Dr Shome’s vision, as a surgeon and entrepreneur, is to touch and transform as many lives as possible through the growing chain of The Esthetic Clinics in cities and towns of India; building innovative products that transform science and create tangible impacts, and eventually creating a community of happy clientele using his expertise and skillsets. His dedication and the desire to constantly strive for excellence is what truly sets Dr Debraj Shome apart from the rest.
Originally published at www.dnaindia.com