The Foreign Office (FO) confirmed on Friday that Pakistani journalist Anas Mallick who had gone missing in Kabul a day earlier had safely returned to the city.
“So glad that Anas Mallick is safely back in Kabul. Alhamdolillah,” the FO said in a tweet in response to its earlier post about his disappearance
The news of his return was also confirmed by Pakistan’s ambassador to Afghanistan, Mansoor Khan.
Regarding reports about Pakistani journalist Anas Malik, I have just talked to him on phone briefly. He is in Kabul and safe. Embassy will remain in touch with him @ForeignOfficePk @HinaRKhar @PakinAfg
— Mansoor Ahmad Khan (@ambmansoorkhan) August 5, 2022
The journalist also himself confirmed his return via his Twitter handle, saying “I am back”.
Read President conveys concerns to PM on harassment, torture against journalists
The FO had earlier said that all possible efforts were being made to ascertain the whereabouts of Pakistani journalist Anas Mallick, and to ensure his safety and early return.
“We at the Foreign Office are deeply concerned about the disappearance of Anas Mallick from Kabul yesterday,” FO Spokesperson Asim Iftikhar said.
The spokesperson said, “We are in touch with local authorities and Pakistan Embassy in Kabul for his early and safe return to Pakistan.”
Anas Mallick reportedly went missing on Thursday afternoon. As per his tweet of August 3, he was in the Afghan capital to cover the first anniversary of the fall of Kabul.
Working as the Pakistan bureau chief of Wion News in Islamabad, Anas Mallick covers foreign affairs, Pak-Afghan matters, military and conflict.
Originally published at tribune.com.pk